At Home With the Kids
Deadline to apply: March 25, 2021
Retreat dates: June 14 to July 15, 2021
Being mothers, (involved) fathers, caregivers and parents is a part of many people’s identities—one that is often ignored within the art world. Although art is a field of work that, in most contexts, favors the personal over the official, and the emotional over the material, it nonetheless, like most other professional spheres, replicates the patriarchal strategies that render parenting invisible.
Mophradat is actively looking for ways to shift access to opportunities. Opening up its venue in Athens as a summer retreat for artists and their families to live together, where artists can work and children can play in an experiment of communal living, is one attempt at doing so. Three artists (and partners) with young children will be invited to spend a month-long residency in the venue. The format will allow for shared childcare and afford working space and time to the residents, all within a safe social environment, with resources, time, skills and stories made common. As the experience unfolds, Mophradat will use the opportunity to engage residents in further explorations of the theme of motherhood.
The Athens venue comprises four spaces that can be used as bedrooms, one collective working area for the artists, a common play space for the children, shared kitchens and bathrooms, a small garden and large terraces. In addition to accommodations, Mophradat will cover the round-trip travel for the entire family unit and provide a group stipend to cover the shared daily costs, including food and basic housekeeping needs.
Given the communal nature of the residency, all participants will be required to diligently respect all sanitary regulations and preventive measures for themselves and for their co-residents. Please also be aware that, depending on the evolution of the pandemic, the date and specifics of the retreat are subject to change. Unfortunately, due to the current travel restrictions, the retreat is only open to candidates able to travel to Greece.
Please also note that the house is on two floors, and is only partially wheelchair accessible.
SPECIFIC ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
In addition to complying with the general eligibility criteria that you can read here, please note the following:
- The main applicant must be from or have origins in the Arab world;
- They must be a professional working artist, writer, or curator, and working on a specific project;
- They must be at present a primary (co-)caregiver and planning to travel with no more than two children under the age of five who will join them in residence (due to space and logistical constraints, we anticipate only being able to accommodate family units of maximum two caregivers and two children);
- They must have an interest in communal living, including sharing, compromising, and contributing to everyday household responsibilities;
- Sharing a common studio rather than a private workspace should be compatible with their practice.
- Applicants are evaluated and selected by Mophradat once the application is confirmed to have fulfilled the program’s general and specific eligibility criteria.
- All shortlisted applicants will be interviewed prior to the final invitations.
- All applicants, whether selected or not, receive a response to their applications one month after the application deadline. If selected, a residency agreement will be signed between the resident and Mophradat.
*Please note that due to the high volume of applications expected and the complexity of putting together a compatible group that suits the site, the election process will involve many considerations outside the artistic merit of individual practices. Unfortunately, we cannot provide individual feedback explaining the reasons why an application was not selected.
This program is partially supported by the German Federal Foreign Office, the European Cultural Foundation, and in cooperation with Allianz Kulturstiftung.
You can apply by filling in an online form here. (Please note that you can’t save your application online; we recommend that you work offline and paste your answers into the form.) Once you will have submitted your online form, you will receive an automatic confirmation email.
For any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org