Residency for musicians at Le Confort Moderne in Poitiers, France
January 28 to February 4, 2019
Deadline to apply: August 30, 2018
Mophradat in collaboration with the multidisciplinary art center Le Confort Moderne in Poitiers, France, is offering one residency for a professional musician or ensemble of up to three musicians from the Arab world. The aim is to spend focused time working on a specific project, creating new compositions, or exploring and researching innovative ideas. The residency lasts one week in January 2019, with flights, accommodation, visa and insurance costs, and meals provided, and includes an opportunity for a public performance.
Le Confort Moderne has been exploring independent music and contemporary art production for thirty-two years, gaining international recognition for its concerts, exhibitions, encounters, and artistic innovation. Having re-opened in December 2017 after a major renovation, it occupies 8,500 square meters including a concert hall with capacity for 800 people and state-of-the-art light and sound equipment, a music club, a warehouse exhibition space, and a smaller gallery. Its facilities also include a restaurant, bar, record store, fanzine library, rehearsal studios, public garden, offices, storage, and an artist residency program. With its dedicated technical and curatorial staff, Confort Moderne continues mapping out a generous international program through partnerships and open calls.
The selected resident(s) — whether a musician or band — will be accommodated in full board at the venue’s residency facilities and have access to rehearsal rooms and technical support to undertake work throughout their stay, but they must be comfortable working autonomously. Le Confort Moderne will also program a concert of the musician or band and pay a performance fee.
Applications are in English only, but the residency is also open to French speakers.
- Applicants must be solo musicians or bands/ensembles of up to three members performing their original compositions (instrumentalists looking for rehearsal time are not eligible).
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate being active in music scenes locally and/or internationally.
- Applicants must have an extensive stage practice (concerts, festivals, etc.) and a rehearsing routine.
- Musicians and bands of all contemporary genres are welcome to apply.
- Applicants must be from the Arab world.
Applications must be submitted in English by email to email@example.com, and include:
- A completed application form (available for download here).
- A CV listing all your performances, albums published online and/or offline, and press reviews.
- Links to your music online (Bandcamp, Soundcloud, Youtube etc.) or no more than three mp3 files (clearly labeled).
- A one-page letter explaining your interest in the residency, and the specific project you intend to work on.
- A technical rider for your rehearsals and concert.
- The name and contact details of two professional referees who can comment on your recent work.
Deadline for application is August 30, 2018.
- Mophradat will select the residents in collaboration with Le Confort Moderne.
- All applicants, whether selected or not, receive a response to their applications by October 1, 2018.
- Due to a high volume of applications and the confidentiality of selection processes, Mophradat does not provide individual feedback explaining the reason an application was not selected.
- On selection, a contract will be signed between the recipient, Mophradat, and Le Confort Moderne.
- A narrative summary of what was achieved must be submitted to Mophradat within two weeks of the residency’s end.