Writing Sabbatical Grants
Deadline to Apply: March 10, 2019
Witnessing the recent flourishing of literature in the Arab world, Mophradat’s Writing Sabbatical Grants program has been set up to support emerging creative writers from the Arab world of contemporary fiction, nonfiction and poetry.
Published authors currently working on a new piece of writing for publication, and in need of a short time to focus on its completion can apply to this program. The program offers a grant covering a short sabbatical period to two writers per open call, who will receive a stipend to allow each to take time out from their daily preoccupations and complete their project. The grant ranges from US$600 to US$1,300 per month determined by Mophradat based on the local living costs of the country of residence of the applicant, and covers from one to three months period depending on the writers’ need. Applicants must have a publisher interest in publishing their upcoming work (online or print including independent book publishers, periodicals or other literary or cultural journals qualify).
- Applicants must be from or living in the Arab world.
- Applicants must be authors of creative writing including fiction, poetry, criticism, essay, and other artistic forms. These grants are not for academic writing, film, theatre, or journalism.
- Applicants must be published writers with at least two prior instances of publication.
- Applicants must provide a letter of interest from a publisher for the new work they will develop with this grant. Innovative proposals in method and form will be given priority.
- Applicants must commit to taking leave of their day jobs for the entire sabbatical period (For those who are selected: If employed, a letter from their place of employment must be provided confirming the agreed time out).
Applications must be submitted in English or Arabic by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, and include:
- A completed application form that you can download here.
- A writing sample of maximum 1,000 words from the unfinished manuscript you are planning to complete.
- A complete CV including personal data, education and professional engagements.
- Details of your previous published writings (these can be books, articles, essays…).
- A letter of interest from the publisher for the project you are planning to complete.
- All applicants, whether selected or not, receive a response to their applications by June 1, 2019.
- Due to the high volume of applications and the confidentiality of the selection process, Mophradat does not provide individual feedback explaining the reason an application was not selected.
- If selected, a grant agreement will be signed between the recipient and Mophradat.
- The sabbatical period should start between July 1 and December 1, 2019.
- Funds will be released in a two-stage process: 70 percent when the grant agreement is signed, and the remaining 30 percent at the end of the grant period upon submission of the completed manuscript and a short narrative summary of what was achieved.
- The grantee engages to visibly credit Mophradat for the publication of their work, and send copies of any printed material to its office in Brussels.