Residency for Composers at EMS in Stockholm
Ten-day residency between March and April 2020
Deadline to apply: October 30, 2019
Mophradat has partnered with Elektronmusikstudion (EMS) in Stockholm, Sweden, on providing a residency for a composer/compers (up to three collaborators) from the Arab world to spend focused time working on a specific project, creating new compositions, or exploring and researching new ideas.
Founded in 1964, EMS Elektronmusikstudion is the center for Swedish electroacoustic music and sound-art and is run as an independent part of Musikverket (the Swedish Performing Arts Agency). EMS offers professional studios for the production of electroacoustic music and sound-art. Its aim is to support the artistic development of electroacoustic music and its integration within other artistic areas.
Contemporary composers from the Arab world can apply for a ten-day residency at EMS in March-April, 2020 (precise dates will be determined in consultation with the resident). The selected resident(s) will be accommodated in Stockholm and have access to studios and equipment, and will receive a technical introduction to undertake work throughout their stay. The composer(s) must be comfortable working autonomously. To work in the studios it is advisable to be familiar with the Pro Tools, Logic X, Reaper or Ableton Live software. In addition to accommodation and studio, Mophradat provides selected resident(s) with economy return airfare, a per-diem and reimbursement of visa costs.
• Applicants must be working on their own compositional project.
• Applicants must be able to demonstrate being active in music scenes locally and/or internationally.
• Applicants active within the electroacoustic and sound-art fields are encouraged to apply.
• Applicants must be from the Arab world.
Applications must be submitted in English by email to email@example.com, and include:
• A completed application form (available for download here).
• A CV listing all your performances, albums published online and/or offline, and press reviews.
• Links to your music online (Bandcamp, Soundcloud, Youtube etc.) or no more than three mp3 files (clearly labeled).
Deadline for application is October 30, 2019.
• Mophradat will select the residents in collaboration with EMS.
• All applicants, whether selected or not, receive a response to their applications by December 10, 2019.
• Due to a high volume of applications and the confidentiality of the selection process, Mophradat cannot provide individual feedback explaining the reason an application was not selected.
• On selection, the resident will sign separate contracts with Mophradat and EMS.
• A narrative summary of what was achieved must be submitted to Mophradat within two weeks of the residency’s end.