Artist Residency at Capacete
Deadline: September 15, 2019
Residency dates: April 1 to June 30, 2020
Mophradat is collaborating with Rio de Janeiro’s Capacete on a residency opportunity for artists from the Arab world. Capacete is a residency program that has been active for twenty years, aiming to set up situations and develop strategies that offer concrete and real alternatives to the unstable field of art. Previous programs have been designed to reflect the interdisciplinary character of contemporary aesthetic practices and to promote efforts that join the theoretical world with artistic presentations of diverse formats and dynamics, for a range of audiences.
Capacete’s 2020 program will focus on seminars and discussions around the experience and production of different cosmologies, aligned with each resident’s research. Capacete will program activities that indicate a collective creation of a space/platform, composed of exercises, dialogues, and practices that reference horizontal experiences, and thereby invent modes of learning and exchange. Capacete will privilege collectivity as both a mode of research, and a mode of care and knowledge. The activities will bring the participants closer to the social, cultural, and political dynamics of Rio de Janeiro, as well as to several of its agents.
The residency program offers:
- One return economy airline ticket, accommodation in shared self-catering accommodation for the entire duration of the residency, a monthly stipend, visa costs, and travel insurance.
- An opportunity to participate in all of Capacete’s programs and a suggested program of visits to exhibitions, galleries, and sites of interest in Rio de Janeiro, as well as meet with arts practitioners in the Brazilian art scene
- Practical support, information, interpretation, and accompaniment for shorter trips, etc, provided by Capacete.
- An opportunity to present a lecture/talk by the artist to introduce their practice to the local public.
- Please note that there are no formal requirements regarding the output of the residency.
The program is for artists who seek to develop their practice in a professional context and create new projects reflecting their experimentation and research.
- Applicants must have been active in the arts for at least five years and have a demonstrable exhibition or project history.
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate being present in art scenes locally and/or internationally.
- Students are not eligible to apply.
- Applicants must speak English.
- Applicants must be from the Arab world.
Applications must ONLY be submitted in English by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, and include:
- A completed application form (including your personal information, the contact of two references and responses to three questions related to the residency project) available for download here.
- A curriculum vitae listing all educational and work experience.
Deadline for application is September 15, 2019.
Mophradat will support only one resident to participate in this program in 2020.
Mophradat in collaboration with Capacete will select the candidate on the basis of the quality of their work, their potential to take full advantage of the program, and the specificity of their interest in the context of Capacete, who are responsible for the final selection.
- All applicants, whether selected or not, receive a response to their applications by October 30, 2019.
- Due to a high volume of applications and the confidentiality of selection processes, Mophradat does not provide individual feedback explaining why an application was not selected.
- On selection, a grant agreement will be signed between the recipient and Mophradat.
- A narrative summary of what was achieved must be submitted within two weeks of the residency’s end.