Our Open Calls
Since our organization was founded, our mandate has been to gather and make resources available for artists from the Arab world. The definition of those resources has changed over time, but their core purpose has remained the same: To support exciting, critical, and relevant artists in making new work and have it be shared. What began solely as providing financial means for production and touring has evolved into a constellation of opportunities which still include grants but now with a much more flexible vision of the scope of what they can cover. The Grants programs are now directed to process, research, meetings, production, and all sorts of open-ended activities, as well as to residencies which we organize in collaboration with international partners art practitioners. The residencies provide access to new networks, contexts, and working conditions, while allowing for a focused time, and therefore providing much more than monetary value. We want to respond as quickly and creatively as possible to the problematics and possibilities that we encounter and invent new programs that serve them.
GENERAL ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
To be considered for any of our open call, your application must meet the following criteria:
- Be related to a field of contemporary art (all disciplines are welcome);
- Be for a contemporary art activity or project by an artist or other arts practitioner from or living in the Arab world, or be relevant to the region;
- Be primarily engaged with artistic concerns and aim toward high artistic merit;
- Be realized by professional working artists and/or other arts practitioners such as curators, critics, etc., who have been active in their field for a number of years;
- Involve no commercial activity or organization;
- Be devoid of any intention to promote violence, or involve any form of discrimination based on race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, or sexual orientation;
- And meet the specific criteria related to the specific open call.
Meeting the criteria makes your application eligible for consideration by the external advisors, who then determine which applications to support.
Please note that the grant programs are highly competitive as applications far exceed our resources.